High School Math Teacher
|Position:||High School Math Teacher|
|Education Level:||Bachelor's Degree|
Hawthorn Leadership School for Girls provides a safe, nurturing and stimulating environment that enables young women from diverse backgrounds to achieve academic success in a college preparatory program and to become leaders in their communities and professions.
Hawthorn is the first all-girls public school in Missouri. Hawthorn is a college preparatory charter school with a focus on STEM. The school opened in August 2015 and currently has 170 students in 6th – 10th grades. We will add a new grade each school year until fully enrolled in 2020 with approximately 300 students in grades 6 – 12.
Hawthorn affiliates with the Young Women's Leadership Network, a national leader in girls' education. Washington University serves as Hawthorn's charter school sponsor.
Under the direction of the Principal, the teacher will guide students in gaining the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve at or above grade level. Teachers will plan lessons, provide instruction, manage the classroom in a manner that is conducive to learning, as well as demonstrate fairness and respect with students. The teacher will work with parents/guardians, as well as district support personnel to provide appropriate support to students. The teacher will perform professional responsibilities in a manner that is in compliance with Board policy, as well as adhering to state and federal laws regarding public education.
- Teaches courses in mathematics to secondary pupils utilizing core curriculum and appropriate curriculum publications as guidelines in teaching individual course content as approved by the Board of Education.
- Instructs pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
- Develops lesson plans and appropriate instructional aids stressing "discovery" and laboratory learning methods.
- Demonstrates mathematical concepts using models, chalkboard, overhead projector, and other standard or teacher-prepared instructional aids.
- Provides opportunities when needed for individualized and small group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
- Designs learning activities that will relate mathematics to the physical world.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to provide an orderly, safe, and productive classroom environment.
- Evaluates each pupil's progress in mathematical knowledge and skills.
- Selects and requisitions books, instructional aids and instructional supplies; maintains required inventory records.
- Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Communicates with parents to interpret contemporary methods in teaching mathematics and with parents and school counselors to discuss the individual pupil's progress.
- Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day.
- Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities such as mathematic teams.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and in self-selected professional growth activities.
- Participates cooperatively with the appropriate administrator to develop the method by which he will be evaluated in conformance with district guidelines.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree
- Missouri Professional Educator License with High School Math endorsement
- Technology skills necessary to deliver instruction
- Missouri Learning Standards
- Academic evaluation and data collection methods
- School Improvement
- Best Practices in the delivery of curriculum and instruction
- Content Area to be taught
Classroom Management Ability to:
- Deliver instruction in a manner that improves student achievement
- Implement intense student support
- Collect and manage data related to student progress
- Monitor and support student safety
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Work in a team environment with teachers and other stakeholders
To apply, send cover letter and resume below to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: High School Math Teacher.