Middle School English Language Arts Teacher
|Position:||Middle School English Language Arts Teacher|
|Education Level:||Bachelor's Degree|
Hawthorn Leadership School for Girls provides a safe, nurturing and stimulating environment that enables young women from diverse backgrounds to achieve academic success in a college preparatory program and to become leaders in their communities and professions.
Hawthorn is the first all-girls public school in Missouri. Hawthorn is a college preparatory charter school with a focus on STEM. The school opened in August 2015 and currently has 170 students in 6th – 10th grades. We will add a new grade each school year until fully enrolled in 2020 with approximately 300 students in grades 6 – 12.
Hawthorn affiliates with the Young Women's Leadership Network, a national leader in girls' education. Washington University serves as Hawthorn's charter school sponsor.
Under the direction of the Principal, the teacher will guide students in gaining the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve at or above grade level. Teachers will plan lessons, provide instruction, manage the classroom in a manner that is conducive to learning, as well as demonstrate fairness and respect with students. The teacher will work with parents/guardians, as well as district support personnel to provide appropriate support to students. The teacher will perform professional responsibilities in a manner that is in compliance with Board policy, as well as adhering to state and federal laws regarding public education.
- Provide written lesson plans in accordance with the objectives of the instructional program
- Establish high expectations for learning for all students and make ensure that students are aware of these expectations
- Monitor and evaluate student progress and adjust instruction to support achievement
- Apply effective practices in the delivery of curriculum and instruction
- Use differentiated instruction that is aligned with student need
- Comply with all district/school policies, practices and procedures.
- Attend training/professional development and implement information and materials provided
- Use available technology to enhance instruction and achievement
- Demonstrate competency in all subject areas taught
- Provide evidence of student performance and progress
- Establish and maintain rules and conduct and discipline that are consistent with District Policy and Procedures and that result in an environment conducive to learning
- Adhere to policies and procedures regarding Special Education referrals, staffing, and conferences
- Practice fairness in teacher-pupil relationships and exhibit an understanding and respect for students as individuals
- Be punctual and regular in attendance to school and duty assignments
- Exhibit a cooperative attitude and professionalism toward students, parents, community, and school personnel
- Make appropriate use of professional preparation periods
- Present an appearance that does not adversely affect the student's ability to learn
- Communicate the academic progress, attendance, and conduct of students to their parents/guardians
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree
- Missouri Professional Educator License with Middle School Language Arts endorsement
- Technology skills necessary to deliver instruction
- Missouri Learning Standards
- Academic evaluation and data collection methods
- School Improvement
- Best Practices in the delivery of curriculum and instruction
- Content Area to be taught
Classroom Management Ability to:
- Deliver instruction in a manner that improves student achievement
- Implement intense student support
- Collect and manage data related to student progress
- Monitor and support student safety
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Work in a team environment with teachers and other stakeholders
To apply, send cover letter and resume below to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Middle School English Language Arts Teacher.