School Social Worker
|Department:||Non-instructional and/or Support Positions|
|Position:||School Social Worker|
|Education Level:||Bachelor's Degree|
Hawthorn Leadership School for Girls provides a safe, nurturing and stimulating environment that enables young women from diverse backgrounds to achieve academic success in a college preparatory program and to become leaders in their communities and professions.
Hawthorn is the first all-girls public school in Missouri. Hawthorn is a college preparatory charter school with a focus on STEM. The school opened in August 2015 and currently has 170 students in 6th – 10th grades. We will add a new grade each school year until fully enrolled in 2020 with approximately 300 students in grades 6 – 12.
Hawthorn affiliates with the Young Women's Leadership Network, a national leader in girls' education. Washington University serves as Hawthorn's charter school sponsor.
Hawthorn is seeking an outstanding candidate to serve as the school's School Social Worker. The School Social Worker collaborates with the Assistant Principal and others on the Student Support Team to promote positive school culture and ensure the general well-being of Hawthorn's students. He or she serves as the school's liaison with outside services/resources that support Hawthorn students' and families' academic, emotional and developmental growth. The School Social Worker provides individual and small group counseling and crisis intervention counseling for students. He or she serves as the school's liaison with outside services/resources that support Hawthorn students' and families' academic, emotional and developmental growth. The School Social Worker works with faculty to develop classroom-based strategies that support students' individual social and emotional needs.
The School Social Worker supervises all social work services, including other school social workers, social work practicum students, and all counseling services including those directly provided by Hawthorn and those counseling services outsourced by Hawthorn. The School Social Worker reports to the Assistant Principal. This a part-time, 10-month position.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: Hawthorn is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals applying for employment at our school. Hawthorn does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Principal, Student Support Team and faculty on an ongoing basis in order to maintain a 360° understanding of students' needs and to support student success
- Conduct appropriate assessments to determine individual student's needs
- Provide individual, group and/or supportive family therapy to support Hawthorn students' emotional and developmental needs
- Serve as primary facilitator in conflict resolution and restorative circle scenarios among students, engaging faculty and staff where appropriate
- Provide crisis intervention counseling as needed
- Collaborate with the Assistant Principal and others on the Student Support Team to design, implement and monitor individual student behavior plans, including serving as a member of the Care Team
- Maintain communication with students' parents and guardians to monitor and support progress toward therapeutic goals
- Maintain appropriate documentation of services provided to students and families
- Make home visits as needed and appropriate to support students and their families
- Participate in Special Education and Care Team meetings as appropriate
- Collaborate with external professionals to make available appropriate agency services for students and families
- Oversee child abuse and neglect reporting and procedures
- Identify and support students who are frequently absent by implementing interventions, completing family court referrals, and working closely with school's assigned DJO
- Attend trainings in conflict resolution, de-escalation and other areas related to student support
- Collaborate with the Student Support Team and faculty as appropriate to develop
Hawthorn's health and wellness program
- Collaborate with the Dean of Student Life to support student engagement in summer opportunities
- Provide Professional Development to staff as appropriate
- Complete SDAC tasks as assigned regarding Medicaid participation
- Work with the Student Support Team to ensure students are able to attend school in uniform
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Principal
- BSW from an accredited university
- Demonstrated clinical social work skills with individuals, groups, and families and have experience as a social work practicum student or social worker in a school setting
- Proven track record of building positive, productive, culturally responsive relationships with urban youth and their families
- Demonstrated Deep knowledge of social services available to city residents and their children
- Experience developing creative, resourceful solutions to help struggling students through coaching of teachers and development of behavior intervention plans
- Demonstrated commitment to continue individual professional growth
- Excellent organizational, communication (both written and verbal) and facilitation skills
- Relentless commitment to help all students thrive
- Commitment to collaboration to support positive outcomes
Submit cover letter, resume, contact information for two references and a writing sample that answers the following questions, limiting your answers to one page per question.
- What attracts you to this position?
- What does it mean to you to educate an urban adolescent girl?
- How does implementing a consistent system of discipline support your vision of a quality middle and high school education?
Send the completed information via email to email@example.com.