Student Success Specialist
|Department:||Non-instructional and/or Support Positions|
|Position:||Student Success Specialist|
Hawthorn Leadership School for Girls provides a safe, nurturing and stimulating environment that enables young women from diverse backgrounds to achieve academic success in a college preparatory program and to become leaders in their communities and professions.
Hawthorn is the first all-girls public school in Missouri. Hawthorn is a college preparatory charter school with a focus on STEM. The school opened in August 2015 and currently has 170 students in 6th – 10th grades. We will add a new grade each school year until fully enrolled in 2020 with approximately 300 students in grades 6 – 12.
Hawthorn affiliates with the Young Women's Leadership Network, a national leader in girls' education. Washington University serves as Hawthorn's charter school sponsor.
This position provides supervision during student in-school suspension to middle and high school students, maintaining student discipline in this setting. The Student Success Specialist values each student as a unique individual and has an unwavering belief that all students can succeed. The Student Success specialist reports to the Executive Director.
The Student Success Specialist works with the Student Support Team to help students meet specific behavioral expectations. He or she understands the principles of clarity, consistency, reinforcement, and redirection and implements strategies and activities specifically designed to enable each student to achieve success at school.
The Student Success Specialist contributes to data gathering and tracking for individual students to help assess effectiveness and progress toward a stated goal. He or she works with identified students to ensure a safe and focused environment and supports student acquisition of core curriculum while outside of the classroom.
The ideal candidate has at least one year of teaching experience who prefers a role outside of the traditional classroom. This is not an instructional coaching or assistant principal role. This role does not have any evaluation or assessment responsibilities.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: Hawthorn is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals applying for employment at our school. Hawthorn does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.
Monitor and Supervise Students in need of behavior Interventions:
- Understand and adhere to Hawthorn’s rules, policies and procedures regarding student behavior.
- Work directly with students whose negative behaviors hinder classroom success at school.
- Surveil student in-school suspension, while also assisting with behavior modification skill building and the preparation of student academic success.
- Maintain integrity of disciplinary space, and create a safe environment.
- Track all detention and in-school suspension earned and served by students.
- Support faculty and staff in analyzing and summarizing individual student performance data to measure growth toward stated goals.
Academic Program Support
- Support the faculty in providing appropriate instructional guidance to students who behaviors are creating obstacles to their learning and necessitating that they be out of class.
- Assist students with assignments, including motivating reluctant learners to complete assignments.
- Serve as in-building substitute teacher when schedule allows.
- Maintain student confidentiality.
Hawthorn is growing and recruiting now for new teammates for Dream Team 4.0! We are looking for distinctive educators who are committed to preparing Hawthorn’s first graduating class for college. Teachers who flourish at Hawthorn are interested in culturally relevant pedagogy, dive into teacher leadership opportunities that match their passion and talent, teach others how to use their favorite classroom app, and of course, love our students and their families.
The successful candidate must have a commitment to ensuring the success of every student in and out of the classroom, an overarching positive attitude, and the desire and ability to work as a member of a team.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in which an important responsibility was working with a Tier 3.
- Dedication to the philosophy that all children can succeed.
- Teaching certification at the substitute teaching level or higher.
- Proficient or advanced with technology. Specifically, an ability to navigate a student information system such as Infinite Campus.
- Ability to connect with a diverse student population and staff.
- Ability to develop mutually respectful relationships with students and co-workers.
- History of confidentiality in the workplace.
- Willingness to pitch in wherever and whenever the help is needed.
This is a 10-month position.
This is an hourly position ranging between $13.00-$15.00 an hour.
To apply, send cover letter and resume below to email@example.com with the subject line: Student Success Specialist.